What is the SES rating?
SES means single engine (piston) seaplane. Most private pilots start with their single enigne (piston) land (SEL) when they make their private pilot. In order to fly seaplanes or amphibians you need the SES rating.
Why the SES rating?
If you want to fly a seaplane or an amphibian airplane you need to learn how to take off and land on the water as well as handle the plane like a boat. This is what you learn when you come to us. But of course this is just one part. We teach you all what you need to know and even what is nice to know to on the water safely.
Do I need to make a test to get the rating?
Yes, there is a FAA test required. Not a written test, just an oral and practical test. If I make the rating on a hull plane, am I allowed to fly a floatplane too?
Yes, the SES rating does not make any difference if you want to fly a hull, or floatplane neither a seaplane nor a amphibian. But of course we recommend you to get some differential training before you take pilots seat of a floatplane.
What is an amphibian?
Amphibian means: an airplane capable to land on water or land and to taxi from one surface to the other.
How does it work?
1. We start at day one with breakfast and discuss the airplane and what we will do the next days.
2. Then we take the airplane and start flying.
3. During every days breakfast and lunch we are teaching you the theoretical knowledge you need to know.
4. At the end of day 2 we usually discuss when we will have you FAA oral and flight test.
5. We land and take off from a lots of different surfaces like a normal runway, normal water, glassy water or a gras runway.
6. You will not only get the training you need to pass the test, you will get the trainig to fly the airplane safely.
7. We will do all the paperwork required for the FAA test.
8. When the test day has arrived we fly usually over to pahookee airport where we will meet the examiner.
9. After you have passed the test, we fly back and may stop over at sunset grille, Lake Jackson.
10. You will receive a temporary license from the examiner and in a few weeks the permanent license.
How many training hours are required?
Hard to tell, but it will be not less than 15 hours and rarely more than 35.
Why so many hours? Other flight schools offer the SES in a weekend with much less hours?
Well, if you do your SES at one of these two day flight schools you MAY get your license but you will not be ready to fly seaplanes
safely. Especially not a Lake Amphibian. We will give you the required training to start operating a seaplane safely.
Why do you use a flying boat, not a floatplane and is it hard to fly?
Our airplane is something special. It has some unusual flight caracteristics due the on top mounted engine. It´s is not hard to fly but you really need some training. Maybe a little more than in a Cessna on floats but it has some advantages flying it. It flies usually faster than a floatplane, it´s great on the water it handles a bit like racing boat. Also it´s a good landplane.
How much does it cost?
The good thing is: we do not charge for classroom hours, only for aircraft block times. The aircraft price is 270 US$ wet per hour, instructor included. An additional instructors and FAA fee has to be paid.
What are the requirements?
You need to be holder of a US private or comercial pilots certficate or a US validation of a foreign license.
A current medical
A valid BFR is not required, we can check you out for BFR during the training.
A valid photo ID